A new statement was released today by al-Qa'ida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) concerning Algeria, this time specifically commenting on a statement broadcast on Algerian state television by a captured member of the group (Abu al-Dahdah Julaybib). The group claims that the words coming from him are false confessions extracted under torture and pressure. AQIM affirms, contrary the extracted confession, that it did not call on the peaceful protestors to engage in acts of sabotage and violence but rather wanted to prevent the government from having something it could exploit and use against the protestors.
However, despite these words, the group at the same time renews its earlier call for jihad against the Algerian government, arguing that peaceful resistance and protest alone cannot bring about the fundamental change that is desired. Instead, AQIM, which argues that the only solution for Algeria's crises is the full implementation of Islamic law, calls on the elites and personalities striving for change to boycott the government entirely and support the mujahideen with wealth and men. Finally, the group warns Algerian youth not to enlist in the security services and military, because the one who does so voluntarily and knowingly is guilty of disbelief and apostasy.
In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful
Qa'idat al-Jihad Organisation in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb
Refuting what has come in the theatrics of Abu al-Dahdah
The Almighty has said: 'Indeed those who do not believe in the signs of God fabricate lies, and those people are the liars' (al-Nahl 105).
The government television in Algeria broadcast days ago a short video whose length is 2 minutes and 20 seconds, in which the mujahid brother Zarqan Ahsan known as Abu al-Dahdah Julaybib appeared. He was taken prisoner at the end of last year during a clash that occurred between the soldiers of al-Rahman and the personnel of Satan near the municipality of El Anceur in Jijel province. May God free him and the rest of the Muslim prisoners.
And the publication of this visual recording coincided with the return of the popular marches in the capital and some of the towns of Algeria, which shows clearly that the military gang in Algeria is striving to obstruct the return of these popular marches and demonstrations. Therefore we would like to clarify to our people in Algeria in particular and for public opinion in general, the following facts:
1. Those words that the repressive apparatuses extracted from our imprisoned brother through torture and interrogation are divorced from the truth. For the organisation's leadership has not at all striven to penetrate the popular intifada in Algeria and has not striven to direct it to use violence and resort to sabotage. And one can review the statements, including the visual ones, and the written ones that the organisation issued in support of the intifada in order to be sure that they have not borne inside them even one word in which there is a call to burning, sabotage and violence in a general sense. Rather in them they all called openly for the avoiding of acts of sabotage, and avoiding all through which harm may be appended to the demonstrators. And indeed the organisation took the initiative to disavow in advance every act of sabotage that may target the Hirak, undertaken by the gang that would then attribute it to the mujahideen. And these words and statements of ours are spread on the world-wide web, bearing witness to that.
We say this so that the Algerian people should realise what great scoundrels this military gang and its terrorist intelligence apparatuses are as they have taken to using a 'prisoner of war' to extract from his words under pressure and compulsion with the aim of distorting the reputation of the mujahideen and the reputation of some of the opposition personalities and organisations and demonising the popular Hirak.
2. We also deny that the leadership of the organisation has contacted or coordinated with any side or personality inside or outside with the intention of causing the popular intifada to deviate from its peaceful course by means of arming demonstrators and pushing them to undertake acts of sabotage.
Had we wanted to that we would not have prevented anyone from it, but we as a group have adopted from the jihad in the path of God a means to change the ruling system in Algeria, complying in our jihad with the rulings of the Shari'a of our Lord (Almighty and Exalted is He) and the Sunna of our Prophet (SAWS), and our battle is with the criminal military and security gang that has removed the Islamic Shari'a from rule, and has usurped authority by subjugation and tyranny, and has inflicted harsh torture on the Algerian people. Our battle is not with the Algerian people for we have not neglected our families and our abode and been content to live in the mountains and valleys for around thirty years in their days and nights except to defend our Muslim people and their religion, honour and land.
3. This is so, and as we deny what came in those poorly produced theatrics, we affirm on the contrary that the jihad in Algeria, even if it slackens, is still ongoing, and we affirm that the mujahideen, even if they are weak, are still steadfast and firm. They will not relinquish jihad against the Tawagheet until God makes supreme His Shari'a in Algeria or we die in the path of that. God Almighty has said: 'Then We have placed you on a Shari'a from the matter so follow it and do not follow the whims of those who do not know. Indeed they will not benefit you with anything against God. And indeed the wrongdoers are allies of each other and God is the trustee of pious'- (al-Jathiya 18-19).
4. We also affirm that the exit of the Algerian people from the constant nature of the multiple crises that they have entered into from the time after independence until this day of ours will only be by returning to implement the Islamic Shari'a entirely, not in deficient force. And we affirm that the fundamental change of the system of rule that the Algerian people are demanding will only be through using all the legitimate means available at the forefront of which is jihad in the path of God because the ruling gang in Algeria is an armed gang waging war on God and His Messenger, not believing in peaceful transition in rule and used to forging elections and buying pledges and confiscating freedoms.
And all the means of legitimate peaceful resistance besides jihad do not suffice to bring down the military gang and will not lead to the fundamental change desired so long as jihad in the path of God is not combined with them. For the iron is only dented by iron. So let us seize this opportunity to renew our call for all the elites and personalities striving for fundamental change of the ruling system in Algeria to review the means of change that they are following and the means of resistance that they are adopting. For indeed the many experiences have proven the lack of sufficiency of these means so one should not become dependent on them and waste time and effort on them, but rather it is more worthwhile for you, as you come out in the marches, to boycott the military gang completely and support your mujahideen brothers with wealth and men, for indeed that is more conducive to lead to the desired change.
5. We call on the Algerian youth in general and those enlisted in the security and military apparatuses in particular to boycott them and leave them and not join them because they are the support pillar on which the military and security regime in Algeria relies. And Algerians' joining them is only in reality support for the criminal generals, and it is not allowed in law to work in these military and security apparatuses, nor is it allowed to join them, but rather entering into them out of voluntary free-will and knowledge is disbelief and apostasy from Islam. God Almighty said: 'The believers should not take the disbelievers as allies besides the believers. And whoso does that, God has nothing to do with them, unless you should be on guard against them, and God warns you of Himself. And to God is the final return. Say: if you conceal what is in your hearts or show it, God knows it and He knows what is in the Heavens and the Earth. And God is capable over everything'- (Al Imran 28-29). Imam al-Sa'adi (may God have mercy on him) said in his tafsir: 'And this is a prohibition from God Almighty to the believers against loyalty to the disbelievers in affection, support and seeking help through them concerning any of the affairs of the Muslims. And He has warned against that and said: 'Whoso does that, God has nothing to do with him.' That is: he has been cut off from God, and he has no share in God's religion, because loyalty to the disbelievers is incompatible with faith, because the faith commands loyalty to God and loyalty to His believing allies who work with each other to establish the religion of God and wage jihad against His enemies. The Almighty has said: 'And the believers are allies of each other'- (al-Tawba 71). So whoso is loyal to the disbelievers besides the believers- those people who wish to extinguish the light of God and tempt His allies- has left the party of the believers, and has become of the part of the disbelievers. The Almighty has said: And whoso among you stands with them, he is one of them'- (al-Ma'ida 51).
And in this verse is evidence for distancing oneself from the disbelievers and associating with them and befriending them and inclining towards them and relying on them, and that it is not allowed for a disbeliever to assume one of the wilayas of the Muslims, and help is not to be sought through him for the matters that are interests for the Muslim masses.'
This is what we wanted to convey and clarify. And by God we ask that He should contract for this Ummah a matter of guidance in which His allies are made mighty and His enemies lowered, and He should judge in them by His Book and the Sunna of His Prophet (SAWS), and He should judge between us and our people with the truth. And He is the best of judges. And oh God, bless Muhammad, the family of Muhammad and His companions and bestow on them many salutations.
Qa'idat al-Jihad Organisation in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb.
al-Andalus Foundation for Media Production
3 Sha'aban 1442 AH corresponding to 16 March 2021 CE.