Over the past few years I have documented numerous militias fighting on the side of the regime in Syria, generally an understudied topic (at least as regards native formations: foreign Iranian-backed Shi'a militias intervening in Syria to support the regime are better covered). Below I compile a list of my articles on the subject, sorted by sub-categories (though there may be overlap in some cases, as the article contents will show). I will add to this list as I write more articles
[Last updated on 4 September 2016]
Syrian Hezbollah/Syrian Shi'i Militias
- Liwa al-Imam Zain al-Abidain
- The Ja'afari Force
- Liwa Sayf al-Mahdi
- Quwat al-Ridha
- Fawj al-Imam al-Hujja and Junud al-Mahdi
- The National Ideological Resistance
- Liwa al-Imam al-Mahdi
- Liwa al-Baqir/Local Defence Forces
Al-Bustan Association militias
Factions of Suwayda' province
Military Intelligence Branch/Military Security factions
Amn al-Dawla intelligence agency militias
Air Intelligence factions
- Liwa Khaybar may be air intelligence and/or military intelligence affiliated.
- Quwat al-Ghadab has a Republican Guard affiliation.
- Liwa Sayf al-Mahdi is affiliated with the 4th Armoured Division.